Monday, June 2, 2008

Our biking commute: Day 60


So we usually do our biking commute in two day segments: home from work the 1st day, then to work the 2nd day, leaving our car at work overnight. We've been trying to do 1 or two of these blocks a week (2-4 trips).

After filling up our car the other day, and seeing it cost $54, we decided we're going to shoot for closer to 6 trips/wk on the bike, and to commute w/ some co-workers who live down the street more often days we do drive.

That's exciting. :) We save about $2 every time we bike one way, plus we get a great 45 min workout :)

I told Matt though, that I don't want to bike that often unless I get faster (he can average 16-18mph, so he usually is waiting for me :). I just have a hard time spending 45-50 min of my day each way we bike.

But yesterday and today I averaged my fastest times yet! Usually on day 1 of a block I average about 14mph, and day two I average about 12mph; but yesterday I averaged 14.7, and this morn I averaged 14.1 (that was even w/ taking the scenic route home yesterday - 16 miles through manheim & down fruitville pike instead of our usual 11.5 down harrisburg pike!) I'm proud of myself :)

p.s. Josh, we've lasted longer than the 2 wks you predicted! Maybe we should have bet some Starbucks on it or something :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your accomplishment!
I have been trying to bike to the office on a regular basis lately but I really don't want to end up stuck in the rain so it it has been less often than I'd like.

Sounds like you have a bicycle computer. What is it? Would you recommend it to others?

Procrastination said...

Pearl you are my hero! Congrats to you! You make me want to bike to work, I also have to admit it is nice to know that you sometimes do this begrudgingly! Awesome times!