Thursday, June 26, 2008

The heart of a Czech

I just heard a czech share his heart in an amazing way: "I don't like church...I feel like they want something from me sometimes, like not drinking alcohol. I don't drink alcohol, just beer" (a cultural note--here, beer is very common just as an everyday beverage, and alcohol is typically just used in reference to hard liquor).

I thought that part was hilarious.

But then I also started tearing up because his conversation was so reflective of some of the same shifts that are taking place in our culture. He talked about the new openness to spirituality, but then also a dislike of church.

It made me think of Dan Kimball's They Like Jesus, But Not the Church.

Maybe we should come live here for a few years and then plant a church in a bar. It becomes a tricky line though when people leave their faith communities because they are frustrated and think they can do better. I think there might be a lot of people in my generation doing this right now.

I have been thinking a lot lately about what it looks like for us to bless the Church of today, in all its forms and diversity but at the same time to come alongside her and help her reach my generation who is saying things just like this Czech? How do we do this in a way that is not helpful, that is not angry or reactive? How can we instead be a positive force? How can we create rather than tear down? How do we maintain a humble posture while at the same time passionately pursuing opportunities that we believe to the best of our understanding God is placing in front of us?

No comments: