Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Tribute to Captain

Some of you know, and some of you may not, that our Newfoundland "Captain Lewis" (the little bear walking with me on the beach in the pic above) recently found his way to a new home. He had gotten to be more than we wanted to handle with his whole 150 lbs of hair and drool. I felt like a sorry excuse for a person giving him up for these reasons, but can't tell you how much I have enjoyed feeling like I have our house back again! Honestly, I think he might have a better life with his new owners than he did with us since they:

1) Are retired and thus have a lot of time to spend with him at home
2) Have a great family friend who is a professional dog groomer and offered to do his grooming for them for free
3) Specifically wanted an older Newfoundland--hair, drool, lethargy, and all

It felt like God provided by connecting us with this couple who seems to be such a great fit for him.

Despite the hair & drool, Captain really was a great dog. Here are just a few highlights from our year with him:
  • Finding out that he was smarter than he looked--skilled enough to open our refrigerator, pull out the meat drawer, and clean us out on a regular basis until we installed a child lock
  • Seeing his adorable eyes looking up at you as he put his paw on your lap "Don't stop loving me!"
  • Dressing him up as a pirate and having him chill on the porch with us while we handed out halloween candy to 400 kids
  • Finding out that bathtime literally scared the s**t out of him
  • Watching him run (yes, believe it or not, he was capable)--his gait was flowing and beautiful
Captain, I hope you're very happy in your new home...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SAD! But GLAD you found a wonderful home for him.

Anonymous said...

We will miss The Captain! Larry & Jen

Jason Mitchell said...

Bath time literally does that to me as well.

Hope said...

BAHAHAHHA! are you serious about the meat drawer? that is halarious!

Cognitive Dissonance said...

He was a character. I am happy that it was our bath that scared him so much. I know our piano will never look at him the same. Sad to let him go I know, but the fact that he is in a loving home is awesome.

Have missed you guys...