Thursday, December 13, 2007

keweenaw wilds


yesterday one of my sister's good friends posted pictures of my homeland--the keweenaw. it is such a wild and wonderful place. something resonated with you deep inside. seeing the pictures brought tears to my eyes as something resonated with me deep inside. it feels like coming home.


i was reminded of a post i made several years ago when i was home on a break from college. i thought i would share it with you all to give you just a tiny glimpse into it's wild beauty:


"it snowed today the fluffier flakes that looked like that fake snow you can buy when it was on the ground. I saw lake superior for the first time since coming home. It was breathtaking coming into view all navy blue green and choppy. the sun set beautifully pastel above it and it was rather wild crashing on the rocks...coming into eagle harbor the water no longer crashed, but gently rolled in with the town looking picturesque and the lighthouse slowly flashing from the rocky point. I spotted the first star, bright in the sky. So bright it was probably not a star but a planet or satellite--i am not good about knowing what all those are...it continued so bright it later reminded me of the Christmas star that proclaimed Jesus’ birth...the rest of the stars came out with wilderness beauty in the black sky. There I saw the big dipper for the first time I remember since going to school. For some reason I never seem to spot it in the sky down there in Georgia. It was hung there huge on the horizon. my heart swells..."

1 comment:

m&p said...

Beautiful thoughts...
We should plan a trip with some friends at the hight of snow fall some year