Sunday, December 21, 2008

La Paz Es Preciosa

I was surprised yesterday by a glimpse of the kingdom.

Driving through my city, my site rounded the corner of a building to rest on a small group of protesters on the steps of our courthouse. They were wearing hand-written, poster board and string signs around their necks. The first to catch my eye said, "La paz es peciosa."

I reached into the recesses of my semester of Spanish and began to piece it together: "paz=peace, I think. 'La' is 'the'. 'Preciosa' sounds a lot like precious. Oh, 'The peace is precious." Then my gaze scanned the others quietly standing on the steps, and, sure enough, the others were also declaring messages of peace in English.

Tears caught me as the gravity and truth of their message sunk in. "In a world of violence, there is another way of peace," they were reminding us. No matter what you think about war, I think we all could agree that they are prophets of God's kingdom in a way, pointing to another reality, another way of doing life. This is a way of doing life that will never be fully realized until Christ establishes his reign on earth, but it is also a way of doing life that He has already begun to establish, even in small ways, in the lives of His people.

May we be bearers of peace in our broken world this Christmas season.

No comments: