Saturday, December 27, 2008

Earthquake

Last night we stayed up late playing one of the best games: "Ticket to Ride Europe" (you get to strategize and build train routs through Europe). At 12:04 AM, Matt, his dad, his mom, me, and one of our housemates Kate were gathered around the table when a low rumble and vibrations began to rumble. It was loud enough that we had a multitude of thoughts running through our mind:

"What the heck is our neighbor doing rolling a piano across his wood floors in the middle of the night?"

"Oh gosh, is our furnace about to blow up?!"

"Did a tractor trailer crash into a house?"

And it was long enough that we began vocalizing our speculations to each other. Fearful gazes darted around the table. As the rumbling died, we jumped up to check what had happened--Matt to the basement, his mom to check on the grandbaby, and me to the porch to see what I could see. There, I found neighbors our on porches all over our block, hollering back and forth to each other about what we had just experienced.

I was relieved to find that my house wasn't about to blow up, but I didn't feel like my heart was calm and my breath caught for a good 10 minutes after that.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I remember living on the Big Island of Hawaii as a teen and being woken up at 4 a.m. by one. It shook my bed back and forth for only a few minutes. And another at High School-buildings where swaying! Both where mild and no injuries reported. But I was amazed at the sound and power of them!

Kevin said...

Earthquakes in PA? That's crazy!