Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth


I'm not much for when the Christian community gets in an uproar over pop culture they feel like they should oppose:

Harry Potter
The Golden Compass
The DaVinci Code

I think it rubs me wrong for a few reasons:

1) It seems like they tend to pull things out of context

2) I hate the fact that Christians are sometimes known more for what they're against rather than the good things we are for

3) I think it portrays us as unwilling to interact with the culture we are a part of because we are so afraid it is going to taint us instead of being able to recognize the pieces of good that are often mixed right in with the bad. We throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.

The latest round of warning emails have been about is Eckert Tolle's "A New Earth". Recently launched to the forefront of the nation's attendance as Oprah not only endorses it, but is actively promoting the teaching.

So I've decided to read it for myself to see if it's all they're saying it is.

2 comments:

Hope said...

Hmm.. I would second that Christians seem to have a false fear of culture "tainting" them - I used to be there. It was because of a lack of heart understanding of the gospel & my identity IN Christ, my security of walking through Him in righteousness.

We are ambassadors of Kingdom culture amidst the cultures around us, and this calls us to call forth and discern the good, while also having the authority to call out what is false.

This is what sets us apart as salt and light.

In Cambodia I learned that no culture in itself it entirely "pure" or right, East or West, and all cultures display both elements of God's Kingdom and also worldly elements that will fade away...

I applaud your looking for the redemptive threads in American culture, and wanting to be a person of grace and understanding...

Cognitive Dissonance said...

I am pretty sure Christ was not afraid to interact with those "worldly" thinkers, why should we?