Saturday, January 12, 2008

Process vs. Guilt

So we all know the time has come and gone for making New Year's resolutions. Inspired by a few friends of mine, I decided I would jump on the "let's blog about resolutions" bandwagon.

Here's my list for this year:

- Get up 2-2.5 hrs before we leave on work days
- Do yoga & walk captain 3x/wk
- Run Zuri 3x/wk
- Take time for reading the news, house chores, and reflection each morning
- Catch up scrapbooking
- Get involved in my community
- Read thru the Bible in a year
- Get to where we are putting money into the checking account as we charge
it on the credit card
- Start our 403b, emergency savings, and regular savings
- Pay off our closing costs loan
- Fence the yard, timber the gardens, and re-roof the house
- Do a trip somewhere with Matt
- Set a rhythm of reading (like 15-30 min before bed each night)
- Take 30 min each weekend to work on training the dogs
- Work toward grad school

But over the last few days a nagging thought has been floating around the back of my mind. The thought that somehow, even though we're only 13 days into January, I've managed to slip up on several already. Now is when you start realizing that you aren't doing so well on them.

So what's the point?

Reflection.

It's a great time to look back on the last year, remember where you've been, and then look ahead and dream about where you want to be. I think taking time to reflect, whether it's on December 31st or every week, is more vital than we realize. Getting caught up in the rush of the day to day is so easy, and before you know it you're 50 and don't know where your life has gone. When we reflect we remember our creator and we catch glimpses of who he is restoring us to. We catch vision for the passions he has uniquely rooted in each of our hearts. We recognize where we are broken. And where we are being healed.

And although it isn't always fun and doesn't always progress the way we think it should, this is a beautiful process.

And the process isn't finished yet.

That's the beauty of it.

So instead of feeling guilty and getting down on yourself, take a minute to reflect on where you have come, on the steps that HAVE been taken. And keep dreaming of the steps to come.

What are you reflecting on these days?

6 comments:

chris horton said...

I reflect on how God has such different plans for me, than I do for myself. Just when I think I'm going to give up on something, he does a complete 360 on me, and exactly opposite of my thoughts happen....always! and I realize he really does have complete control of my life, and that I lose focus of that sometimes. And I'm ALWAYS amazed by that! He loves ME!

p said...

how cool--thanks for sharing! :)

Cognitive Dissonance said...

we can help you with the scrapbooking :-)

Cognitive Dissonance said...

we can help you with the scrapbooking :-)

Cognitive Dissonance said...

we can help you with the scrapbooking :-)

m&p said...

When are you going to blog again?????