Sunday, January 27, 2008

Calling: Remembering the Simplicity

Calling is a mysterious thing. People talk about it like everyone has one particular thing in life they are destined to do, like you must find this one thing or you’ll miss out on your whole purpose. That you’ll miss out on experiencing life to the fullest.

I’ve always wrestled with my calling in life, with what I was designed to do & be.

I had a dream to open a community center.

I thought about being an opera singer.

I considered going into human services.

I pursued a degree in Family Ministry.

But through it all, I always knew I ultimately had a desire to impact people.

I was in Georgia a few weeks ago over Christmas. One morning, I was driving alone, following my husband as we were driving two cars to his sister’s house. As I cranked Sigur Ros (one of my latest fave listens :) and reflected, a sudden sense of clarity began to emerge from the cloud of questions I have been wrestling with for the last few years.

As a reflected, I recognized a new thread running through the years of my life: a passion for equipping God’s people. A passion not just to make a difference with my life, but to empower others to make a difference and to experience life to the fullest God intended.

My passion for vocational ministry was confirmed once again in my heart & mind, but now I have other questions.

Now I wrestle with wanting to not just have one question answered, but to have them ALL answered. So now I am asking questions like “are there particular areas I am passionate about equipping Christ followers in?” and “are there particular ways I am passionate about & gifted in that I can do this through?”

These are all good questions to ask, but maybe there's a bigger picture that I forget about sometimes. Maybe there's a Person involved I forget about sometimes.

Recently, a gifted executive coach I know made a comment that reminded me of the fact that I don’t have to know the answers to all these questions to experience what God designed me for. He pointed out that this whole idea of calling in relation to vocation and fulfillment really didn’t come about until the last 100 years. Before that, calling was a much broader idea: we are called to love God with everything we are and to love people.

Yes, God designs us with unique gifts, passions, and opportunities. Yes, sometimes God asks us to go a certain direction, but I think people have forgotten that ultimately our purpose in life is not to figure out our exact niche and excel in it. Ultimately our purpose is to love God and love people.

So, I must learn to trust along with everyone else. To trust that even when my direction isn’t clear, God guides our footsteps. To trust the Person rather than my path & my plans.

I don't have all my next steps figured out right now. I'll keep asking those questions, but I'm also reminded to experience the fullness of life God has already placed around me and to live that "to the hilt" as Jim Elliot would say.

3 comments:

chris horton said...

Great Post, P. I had a calling, so I thought, in Ministry in high school.
I enrolled at Indiana Bible College,not to be.
I went to college(3 of them) for Elem. Ed, and Physchology.
I made a living doing Paint and body work for a decade after that.
As you know, now I'm driving truck, first East Coast and Midwest for 5 years, now NYC and local runs,and home every night.
I never really planned any of it, yet I chased that notion as well, not always remembering my "destiny" in life was not of my choosing.
I can look back now and see it was always God directing me, even when I thought I was in control, or not completely sure of where he was at certain times.
I've learned Most importantly that it's the people I met along the way that impacted me more than anything I could ever plan for myself.
I'm still learning that lesson, and think that's key to everything God has for ALL of us,is to journey TOGETHER. And he will take care of the rest.
Peace to you and Matt, you guys are awesome!

Cognitive Dissonance said...

I have to say that calling is something that I wrestled with for a long time. I still and not sure what drew me to Bible college and I am not sure what that impact is/will be. I do know this, jobs are jobs. We choose some of them, others we fall into. The end is not the paycheck, but rather what we did outside of the work. I think about the time that I have wasted in working and not building relationships. My regrets in life revolve around not making that phone call, not listening, not caring more. I honestly think that no matter what vocation you find yourself, by choice or otherwise; your calling is to tell others to follow Christ. To literally and figuratively follow in his footsteps.

m&p said...

thanks for sharing a reflection of your heart. May we chase after knowing God and making him known together. I truly do believe that God has some beautiful things in your future, he has gifted you with so many talents, many of which I'm deeply jealous of.

Thank you for letting me journey with you.

I love you so much!