Monday, November 5, 2007

Rubberneckers

There's a firetruck sitting outside Prince St Cafe right now. And from where I am sitting, I can see several people peering out the windows watching. Wondering what's going on.

I can be an awful rubbernecker.

You know, one of those people who wants so badly to slow down when they drive by an accident, just to see what happened.

One of my closest friends recently entered into one of the darkest times of her life. Her husband last week told her he didn't love her anymore and wanted a divorce. And walked out.

The days since then have been full of emotion. Pain. Betrayal. Fear.

There are times that I wonder "should I pick up the phone and call one more time? Is it okay to stop by AGAIN? Am I just being a rubbernecker in the midst of a crisis? An uneccesary by stander, distracting people from what needs to be going on?"

But then I realize that it's because I care. I hurt because I love them. I think about them and want to call because I care.

And although there are times that you need to just keep driving by and not slow down, when your best friends are in crisis, it isn't one of those times. Maybe that one more phone call or stopping by won't get in the way as much as I fear it will. And maybe if I had stopped by sooner I could have helped before this happened.

No comments: